Synonyms: Central Banks
A central bank is in charge of providing financial services and advice to a country’s government and its commercial, domestic banks.
A central bank is responsible for implementing the government’s financial policies by, for example, manipulating interest rates.
The Major Central Banks
- U.S. Federal Reserve System – The Fed
- European Central Bank – ECB
- Bank of England – BoE
- Bank of Japan – BoJ
- Swiss National Bank – SNB
- Bank of Canada – BoC
- Reserve Bank of Australia – RBA
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand – RBNZ